Here you will comment on William Shakespeare's play, Othello, and respond to the comments of your peers.
Tuesday, April 8, 2014
Iago's Web of Evil
Iago ensnares (traps) several people in his web of evil - Roderigo, Cassio, Othello, Desdemona, and Emilia. For whom do you feel the most sorry? For whom do you feel the least sorry? Explain.
I feel the most sorry for Othello. I feel this way because Iago is going to make up a lie that Othello's wife cheated on him even though that is not true at all. Also, Iago is doing all of this because he didnt get the position that he wanted so he hates Othello for that.
I feel the most sorry for Othello because he considers Iago his closest friend and in reality Iago is trying to destroy him. Othello is the a loyal and trustworthy person and he choose the wrong person to put his trust in. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because even though Iago is using him for his money, Roderigo is helping Iago destroy Othello.
Very good point Diana- Roderigo is so blinded by jealousy that he is allowing Iago's corruptness to influence him. He will be getting his karma from Iago soon.
I feel most sorry for Othello because he truly believes iago is his dearest and closet friend whom he trusts greatly and now he has to go to Cyprus to fight in the war against the turks right after he got married to Desdemona.i feel least sorry for cassio because he doest really know whats going on and hes just another pretty face.
I feel the most sorry for Othello because he considers Iago a loyal friend. Someone who you wouldn't think twice about going behind your back. I feel like if Othello ever finds out that Iago is plotting against him, it could be a great shock and truly destroy his trust in anyone furthermore. I feel less sorry for Roderigo who Iago is manipulating for his own beneficial needs. Roderigo though could just open his eyes to see the games Iago is playing and how easily he is being used and walked all over.
I feel most sorry for Cassio. Iago not only reduced his rank, but he destroyed his reputation. At first I felt no remorse for Cassio due to his flirty nature, but after seeing how he tried to stick to his morals and not lose himself to alcohol, my mind changed. Iago is truly an evil man. I feel least sorry for Desdemona. Though she is portrayed as a beautiful and delicate woman, she is not as innocent as it seemed. When without her husband, she was very flirty with other men. I felt she stepped out of line when she asked a married man to think up a poem complimenting her (in the presence of his wife no less). To add insult to injury, Emilia had just finished telling Desdemona that Iago has never done that for her, so basically the first time Iago was romantic was with another woman. Desdemona even persisted after the slew of insults Iago threw at his wife. To me, Desdemona is asking for it.
I feel the most sorry for Othello. He thinks that Iago is being a good friend to him and can't see beyond Iago's true colors. Iago is pretty much backstabbing Othello and he has no idea this is happening. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because he's helping Iago with his plan, so he's putting himself in a bad position.
I feel the most sorry for Cassio. He hasn't done anything but his duty, yet not only does Iago use him as a key piece in Othello's undoing, he, like Maria said, destroys Cassio's reputation along the way. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo. Iago sees him as such a disposable person that he uses him like a puppet for his personal benefit (like everyone else), and he can't even see it. Like a lot of my classmates pointed out, Othello thought highly of Iago and didn't know what he was planning, Roderigo on the other hand knew exactly how evil Iago was, and was aware of all his dark intents, yet he was still naive enough to believe Iago could be a good, trustworthy friend to him- again for his own personal gain: Desdemona's "love."
I feel most sorry for Roderigo. He just wants to be with Desdemona and he cant understand that Iago is just using him. Honestly I feel bad for him because he is a little dumb and doesn't know any better. I feel the least sorry for Desdemona because she is extremely flirty and will get herself in trouble due to that. If she continues to flirt with the men she is only going to make things worse for herself and better for Iago.
I feel most sorry for Othello. Othello really didnt do anything wrong. Othello is being roped into all of these problems caused by Iago and he has no control over it. Iago is obviously someone who is always trying to mess everyone's lives up so he looks like the better person. Othello continues to trust Iago and isn't opening his eyes and realizing what he is doing to him. However, I don't feel bad for Roderigo. Roderigo continues to follow Iago around like a lost puppy and listen to every little thing he says.
I feel most poorly for Cassio, as he considers Iago to be honest and genuine friend. Cassio is deserving of his position as Othello's Lieutenant, so it would not be right for Iago to try and strip him of his rank. However, by getting Cassio drunk he begins to have the position Cassio occupies be put into question as things get out of hand in his drunken state. I feel the least sorrow for Desdemona as she is isn't difficulty swayed to believe that Othello has no been loyal to her. Additionally, Desdemona sometimes goes too far with her flirty nature for a married woman.
I feel the most sorry for Othello because he considers Iago such a great and loyal friend. Othello sees the best in Iago and its unfortunate because all Iago is doing is going against Othello and trying to ruin Othello's solid relationship. Othello would be truly disappointed if he found out what Iago was doing. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because he knows everything that Iago is doing and knows how Iago functions but does not do anything about it at all. Any moment Iago could turn on Roderigo because he is to blind to see Iago's evil schemes and plots.
I feel the most sorry for Othello. Othello really sees Iago as a close friend. Othello has no idea Iago is plotting against him. I feel sorry for him because Iago is going to stab him in the back when he least expects it. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because hes helping Iago plot against Othello.
I feel the most pain for Roderigo. He is being directly manipulated by Iago and being most used. His money is being drained by Iago, he is being beaten half to death by men, and is not getting anything out of it. All Roderigo wants is to be with Desdamona, and being a part of Iago;s devilish plans just forces Roderigo to watch other men pursue this woman, lose his money ,and continually get hurt.
I feel most sorry for othello because Iago plans on destroying Othellos marriage and his political position. Although i feel sorry for Othello, I have a feeling that he isn't completely innocent. I feel the least sympathy towards Rodrigo. Rodrigo is letting his jealousy cloud his judgement, which will cause him to try and bring an end to Othello.
i feel most sorry for Othello becuase Iago is going behind his back and trying to ruin his relationship with his wife. Othello is a great leader and Iago wants to destroy everything. I feel least sorry for Roderigo because he should not be so blinded and gulible. He needs to realize that Iago is taking full advantage of him.
I feel the most sorry for Othello because he thinks of Iago as one of his friends. Othello trusts Iago and looks at him as a loyal friend. All Iago has been doing is going behind his back trying to get revenge and ruin his relationship. If Othello found out what Iago had been doing this whole time, he would befriend him in a second. I feel the least sorry for Desdemona because she is always flirting and will soon get herself into trouble because of that. If she continues to act this way to them she is only going to make things worse for herself and Othello's relationship and Iago will get a rise out of it.
i feel the most sorry for Cassio because he is an innocent man rapped up in Iagos scheme. Iago is taking advantages of some of Cassio's flaws and using them to his advantage. Cassio is clearly good at his job, otherwise Othello wouldn't put him there and all Iago wants to do is get him fired and put himself in the position. Iago is suppose to be one of his good friends and he would betray and twist his words to others just to get what he wants.
I feel the most sorry for othellt because he doesn't know what is going on while Iago is plotting to mess up his life. I feel the least sorry for Cassio because if he stopped acting so flirty and left the other men's wives alone he wouldn't be involved in this mess.
Iago traps multiple people in his web of evil. I feel most sorry for Othello though because he trusts Iago and believes he is his friend but all Iago is trying to do is break up his marriage with his wife. Othello doesn’t realize that Iago is plotting against him to get revenge, which is unfortunate because Othello is a great general. I feel least sorry for Roderigo because although Iago is using him he is still helping Iago to plot against Othello.
I feel the most sorry for Roderigo. He is being manipulated by Iago along with all the other characters. Iago is stealing his money and setting him up for heartbreak when he knows that Roderigo will never be able to have Desdemona.
I feel most sorry for cassio hes like a puppet and iago is the puppet master. iago makes cassio think he's on his side when in reality he can care less if he died in front of him. I feel sorry for cassio because he falls for all the things iago tells him.
i feel most sorry for Othello because he has no idea what is coming towards him. Othello is a great character who has been through rough times through out his life and he is also putting himself in harms way in order to defend his country. Iago has manipulated many people so that he can ruin Othello's marriage with Desdemona. Othello believes that Iago is a true friend, but once the truth comes out, that will be the downfall of Othello's character.
With Iago's plan of evil against these people quickly coming to light, I feel most sorry for Cassio. Cassio has done nothing wrong to any of the characters mentioned. His only fault against Iago is that he was chosen as Othello's first Lt., instead of Iago. Cassio is completely clueless as to what lies ahead of him, with Iago planning on using him as a key piece to his evil puzzle. The character I feel the least sorry for is Roderigo. Roderigo is simply following orders. He is a fool for listening to Iago and carrying out his plans for him. Trusting Iago is a very big mistake, so I am not sorry for Roderigo .
I feel the most pain for Roderigo. He is being directly manipulated by Iago and being most used. His money is being drained by Iago, he is being beaten half to death by men, and is not getting anything out of it. All Roderigo wants is to be with Desdamona, and being a part of Iago;s devilish plans just forces Roderigo to watch other men pursue this woman, lose his money ,and continually get hurt.
I feel most sorry for Othello because whike everyone else is being manipulated, he is being played and effected by each person. Iago makes Cassio slip up and now Othello doesn't have him as his right hand man anymore. Iago is getting Cassio to talk to his wife while feeding lies into his ears, making Othello trust Cassio even less. Meanwhile, Cassio isn't doing anything wrong, but Othello keeps hurting himself through losing a friendship and a good soldier. The person i feel the least sorry for is Desdemona. She is slightly in Iago's web because she is the target and Iago might make her look bad to Othello but it isn't a big factor, or at least not right now.
I feel the most sorry for Othello because he is genuinely a loyal and good person. He considers Iago to be one of his closest friends, yet he is the one trying to take him down because he didn't get the position he wanted. Othello wouldn't think twice to not trust his best friend, so he is completely oblivious. I feel the least sorry for Cassio because he could of easily avoided everything that happened. He should of denied the alcohol Iago offered to him because he was well aware of the effects it would have on him. Now that he made that one bad choice, it led to him losing his position and ruining his reputation.
Out of all the characters, I feel the most sorry for Cassio. Cassio got wrapped up in Iago's evil plans and truly means no harm. Iago is truly taking advantage of Iago's personality and turning it against him. Cassio deserves his position as Othello's lieutenant and it would not be right to strip him of that position. All Iago wants is Casio's position. Iago and Cassio are suppose to be good friends and Cassio is completely unaware of what Iago is doing behind his back.
The character i feel most sorry for is cassio, cassio is noble and because of his looks and his incapability of holding his alcohol iago found a way to sabatage him. Now cassio has to face the consequences for something he could have prevented
The character I feel sorry for is Cassio. Cassio does not realize Iagos plot and Iago is just taking advantage of Cassio. Cassio is innocent and doesn't deserve this since he deserved his position that Othello appointed him. The character I feel least sorry for is Desdemona because she is also a part of Iago's plan and she is going to be caught up with Othello since he will be thinking that she has feelings for Cassio. Desdemona presents herself as very generous and fruitful that Othello will take it in a different way.
I feel the most sorry for Othello. I feel this way because Iago is going to make up a lie that Othello's wife cheated on him even though that is not true at all. Also, Iago is doing all of this because he didnt get the position that he wanted so he hates Othello for that.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for Othello because he considers Iago his closest friend and in reality Iago is trying to destroy him. Othello is the a loyal and trustworthy person and he choose the wrong person to put his trust in. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because even though Iago is using him for his money, Roderigo is helping Iago destroy Othello.
ReplyDeleteVery good point Diana- Roderigo is so blinded by jealousy that he is allowing Iago's corruptness to influence him. He will be getting his karma from Iago soon.
DeleteI feel most sorry for Othello because he truly believes iago is his dearest and closet friend whom he trusts greatly and now he has to go to Cyprus to fight in the war against the turks right after he got married to Desdemona.i feel least sorry for cassio because he doest really know whats going on and hes just another pretty face.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for Othello because he considers Iago a loyal friend. Someone who you wouldn't think twice about going behind your back. I feel like if Othello ever finds out that Iago is plotting against him, it could be a great shock and truly destroy his trust in anyone furthermore. I feel less sorry for Roderigo who Iago is manipulating for his own beneficial needs. Roderigo though could just open his eyes to see the games Iago is playing and how easily he is being used and walked all over.
ReplyDeleteI feel most sorry for Cassio. Iago not only reduced his rank, but he destroyed his reputation. At first I felt no remorse for Cassio due to his flirty nature, but after seeing how he tried to stick to his morals and not lose himself to alcohol, my mind changed. Iago is truly an evil man. I feel least sorry for Desdemona. Though she is portrayed as a beautiful and delicate woman, she is not as innocent as it seemed. When without her husband, she was very flirty with other men. I felt she stepped out of line when she asked a married man to think up a poem complimenting her (in the presence of his wife no less). To add insult to injury, Emilia had just finished telling Desdemona that Iago has never done that for her, so basically the first time Iago was romantic was with another woman. Desdemona even persisted after the slew of insults Iago threw at his wife. To me, Desdemona is asking for it.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for Othello. He thinks that Iago is being a good friend to him and can't see beyond Iago's true colors. Iago is pretty much backstabbing Othello and he has no idea this is happening. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because he's helping Iago with his plan, so he's putting himself in a bad position.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for Cassio. He hasn't done anything but his duty, yet not only does Iago use him as a key piece in Othello's undoing, he, like Maria said, destroys Cassio's reputation along the way.
ReplyDeleteI feel the least sorry for Roderigo. Iago sees him as such a disposable person that he uses him like a puppet for his personal benefit (like everyone else), and he can't even see it. Like a lot of my classmates pointed out, Othello thought highly of Iago and didn't know what he was planning, Roderigo on the other hand knew exactly how evil Iago was, and was aware of all his dark intents, yet he was still naive enough to believe Iago could be a good, trustworthy friend to him- again for his own personal gain: Desdemona's "love."
I feel most sorry for Roderigo. He just wants to be with Desdemona and he cant understand that Iago is just using him. Honestly I feel bad for him because he is a little dumb and doesn't know any better. I feel the least sorry for Desdemona because she is extremely flirty and will get herself in trouble due to that. If she continues to flirt with the men she is only going to make things worse for herself and better for Iago.
ReplyDeleteI feel most sorry for Othello. Othello really didnt do anything wrong. Othello is being roped into all of these problems caused by Iago and he has no control over it. Iago is obviously someone who is always trying to mess everyone's lives up so he looks like the better person. Othello continues to trust Iago and isn't opening his eyes and realizing what he is doing to him. However, I don't feel bad for Roderigo. Roderigo continues to follow Iago around like a lost puppy and listen to every little thing he says.
ReplyDeleteI feel most poorly for Cassio, as he considers Iago to be honest and genuine friend. Cassio is deserving of his position as Othello's Lieutenant, so it would not be right for Iago to try and strip him of his rank. However, by getting Cassio drunk he begins to have the position Cassio occupies be put into question as things get out of hand in his drunken state.
ReplyDeleteI feel the least sorrow for Desdemona as she is isn't difficulty swayed to believe that Othello has no been loyal to her. Additionally, Desdemona sometimes goes too far with her flirty nature for a married woman.
I feel the most sorry for Othello because he considers Iago such a great and loyal friend. Othello sees the best in Iago and its unfortunate because all Iago is doing is going against Othello and trying to ruin Othello's solid relationship. Othello would be truly disappointed if he found out what Iago was doing. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because he knows everything that Iago is doing and knows how Iago functions but does not do anything about it at all. Any moment Iago could turn on Roderigo because he is to blind to see Iago's evil schemes and plots.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for Othello. Othello really sees Iago as a close friend. Othello has no idea Iago is plotting against him. I feel sorry for him because Iago is going to stab him in the back when he least expects it. I feel the least sorry for Roderigo because hes helping Iago plot against Othello.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most pain for Roderigo. He is being directly manipulated by Iago and being most used. His money is being drained by Iago, he is being beaten half to death by men, and is not getting anything out of it. All Roderigo wants is to be with Desdamona, and being a part of Iago;s devilish plans just forces Roderigo to watch other men pursue this woman, lose his money ,and continually get hurt.
ReplyDeleteI feel most sorry for othello because Iago plans on destroying Othellos marriage and his political position. Although i feel sorry for Othello, I have a feeling that he isn't completely innocent. I feel the least sympathy towards Rodrigo. Rodrigo is letting his jealousy cloud his judgement, which will cause him to try and bring an end to Othello.
ReplyDeletei feel most sorry for Othello becuase Iago is going behind his back and trying to ruin his relationship with his wife. Othello is a great leader and Iago wants to destroy everything. I feel least sorry for Roderigo because he should not be so blinded and gulible. He needs to realize that Iago is taking full advantage of him.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for Othello because he thinks of Iago as one of his friends. Othello trusts Iago and looks at him as a loyal friend. All Iago has been doing is going behind his back trying to get revenge and ruin his relationship. If Othello found out what Iago had been doing this whole time, he would befriend him in a second. I feel the least sorry for Desdemona because she is always flirting and will soon get herself into trouble because of that. If she continues to act this way to them she is only going to make things worse for herself and Othello's relationship and Iago will get a rise out of it.
ReplyDeletei feel the most sorry for Cassio because he is an innocent man rapped up in Iagos scheme. Iago is taking advantages of some of Cassio's flaws and using them to his advantage. Cassio is clearly good at his job, otherwise Othello wouldn't put him there and all Iago wants to do is get him fired and put himself in the position. Iago is suppose to be one of his good friends and he would betray and twist his words to others just to get what he wants.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for othellt because he doesn't know what is going on while Iago is plotting to mess up his life. I feel the least sorry for Cassio because if he stopped acting so flirty and left the other men's wives alone he wouldn't be involved in this mess.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteIago traps multiple people in his web of evil. I feel most sorry for Othello though because he trusts Iago and believes he is his friend but all Iago is trying to do is break up his marriage with his wife. Othello doesn’t realize that Iago is plotting against him to get revenge, which is unfortunate because Othello is a great general. I feel least sorry for Roderigo because although Iago is using him he is still helping Iago to plot against Othello.
I feel the most sorry for Roderigo. He is being manipulated by Iago along with all the other characters. Iago is stealing his money and setting him up for heartbreak when he knows that Roderigo will never be able to have Desdemona.
ReplyDeleteI feel most sorry for cassio hes like a puppet and iago is the puppet master. iago makes cassio think he's on his side when in reality he can care less if he died in front of him. I feel sorry for cassio because he falls for all the things iago tells him.
ReplyDeletei feel most sorry for Othello because he has no idea what is coming towards him. Othello is a great character who has been through rough times through out his life and he is also putting himself in harms way in order to defend his country. Iago has manipulated many people so that he can ruin Othello's marriage with Desdemona. Othello believes that Iago is a true friend, but once the truth comes out, that will be the downfall of Othello's character.
ReplyDeleteWith Iago's plan of evil against these people quickly coming to light, I feel most sorry for Cassio. Cassio has done nothing wrong to any of the characters mentioned. His only fault against Iago is that he was chosen as Othello's first Lt., instead of Iago. Cassio is completely clueless as to what lies ahead of him, with Iago planning on using him as a key piece to his evil puzzle. The character I feel the least sorry for is Roderigo. Roderigo is simply following orders. He is a fool for listening to Iago and carrying out his plans for him. Trusting Iago is a very big mistake, so I am not sorry for Roderigo .
ReplyDeleteI feel the most pain for Roderigo. He is being directly manipulated by Iago and being most used. His money is being drained by Iago, he is being beaten half to death by men, and is not getting anything out of it. All Roderigo wants is to be with Desdamona, and being a part of Iago;s devilish plans just forces Roderigo to watch other men pursue this woman, lose his money ,and continually get hurt.
ReplyDeleteI feel most sorry for Othello because whike everyone else is being manipulated, he is being played and effected by each person. Iago makes Cassio slip up and now Othello doesn't have him as his right hand man anymore. Iago is getting Cassio to talk to his wife while feeding lies into his ears, making Othello trust Cassio even less. Meanwhile, Cassio isn't doing anything wrong, but Othello keeps hurting himself through losing a friendship and a good soldier. The person i feel the least sorry for is Desdemona. She is slightly in Iago's web because she is the target and Iago might make her look bad to Othello but it isn't a big factor, or at least not right now.
ReplyDeleteI feel the most sorry for Othello because he is genuinely a loyal and good person. He considers Iago to be one of his closest friends, yet he is the one trying to take him down because he didn't get the position he wanted. Othello wouldn't think twice to not trust his best friend, so he is completely oblivious. I feel the least sorry for Cassio because he could of easily avoided everything that happened. He should of denied the alcohol Iago offered to him because he was well aware of the effects it would have on him. Now that he made that one bad choice, it led to him losing his position and ruining his reputation.
ReplyDeleteOut of all the characters, I feel the most sorry for Cassio. Cassio got wrapped up in Iago's evil plans and truly means no harm. Iago is truly taking advantage of Iago's personality and turning it against him. Cassio deserves his position as Othello's lieutenant and it would not be right to strip him of that position. All Iago wants is Casio's position. Iago and Cassio are suppose to be good friends and Cassio is completely unaware of what Iago is doing behind his back.
ReplyDeleteThe character i feel most sorry for is cassio, cassio is noble and because of his looks and his incapability of holding his alcohol iago found a way to sabatage him. Now cassio has to face the consequences for something he could have prevented
ReplyDeleteThe character I feel sorry for is Cassio. Cassio does not realize Iagos plot and Iago is just taking advantage of Cassio. Cassio is innocent and doesn't deserve this since he deserved his position that Othello appointed him. The character I feel least sorry for is Desdemona because she is also a part of Iago's plan and she is going to be caught up with Othello since he will be thinking that she has feelings for Cassio. Desdemona presents herself as very generous and fruitful that Othello will take it in a different way.
ReplyDelete